Disaster Relief Information

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

Call 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY). The phone numbers will operate 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday through Saturday until further notice. Disaster assistance applicants, who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.

NJ Office of Emergency Management
Phone: 732-341-3451 for emergencies ONLY

Searching for family and friends? Search for them or register yourself as safe and well with the Red Cross

Government Disaster Assistance

Have a need and don't know where to turn? Call 211 or go to the directory of NJ local resources for Hurricane Sandy recovery.

Disaster Unemployment Assistance:
If you are unemployed because of the disaster that began on Oct. 28, you should FIRST file for unemployment insurance benefits through the Internet.
The Internet processes claims faster. However, if needed, people may file by calling Department of Labor’s Re-employment Call Center at: 732-761-2020

Small Business
Businesses affected by a disaster should start by registering with FEMA. Businesses and non-profit organizations of any size may borrow up to $2 million to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory, and other business assets. Applicants may apply online using the Electronic Loan Application (ELA) via SBA’s secure website. On the regular SBA website follow the links for Disaster Assistance and Disaster Recovery Loans. For more information, call 800-659-2955 (800-877-8339 for the deaf and hard-of-hearing)

Disaster Crisis Counseling:
Toll free Disaster Mental Health Helpline: (877) 294-HELP (4357). A TTY line is available for the deaf and hearing impaired at (877) 294-4356.
Disaster Distress Hotline from the Mental Health Services Administration:
Toll Free 1-800-985-5990 or text “TalkWithUs” to 66746

Talking to kids and helping families cope:
A collection of resources gathered by the CDC
A list of resources for talking to children about Hurricane Sandy from the NJ Traumatic Loss Coalition
Elmo talked about the hurricane on the radio in New York
Sesame Street gets through a Hurricane – watch the episodes together as Big Bird deals with the aftermath of a hurricane
Find information and resources for families affected by autism

License Check for Building Contractors, Plumbers, Electricians, etc.: Check that your contractor has a current NJ License. You might have to search both under a person’s name and the business name.

nj_building.pdf             The New Jersey Building Code
nj_electrical.pdf           The New Jersey Electrical Code
nj_electricalsafety.pdf     The New Jersey Electrical Safety Code
nj_energy.pdf               The New Jersey Energy Code
nj_gas.pdf                  The New Jersey Fuel and Gas Code
nj_plumbing.pdf             The New Jersey Plumbing Code
nj_residential.pdf          The New Jersey Residential Code

Social Media Outlets:
Jersey Shore Hurricane News: JSHN covers breaking news, traffic, and weather. "News you can use." JSHN is also a community resource (events, missing people, lost animals, etc).
Have an urgent tip? Email jerseyshorehurricanenews@gmail.com or text (908-565-4270)
Go to local Patch sites for news and information.
Text and email alerts from some local police departments and agencies are available through a free service.

Dealing With Power Outages:
Red Cross Power Outage Checklist
JCP&L Power Outage Map

Pet Information:
Monmouth County SPCA

Recovering Lost Documents

Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificate Replacement
Vital Records
NJ Dept of Health Vital records
The Office of Vital Statistics and Registry registers vital events and maintains the following vital records:

  • Birth, marriage and death records back to 1901
  • Domestic partnership records back to 2004
  • Civil union records back to 2007
  • Adoptions – foreign and domestic
  • Certificate of Birth Resulting in Stillbirth data back to 1969

Citizenship & Naturalization Papers Replacement
N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document

Credit Card Replacement
American Express 1-800-528-4800
Discover 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683) TDD 1-800-347-7449
Master Card 1-800-MCAssist (1-800-622-7747)
VISA Contact issuing financial institution or 1-800-847-2911

Driver’s License, Titles etc… Replacement
For individuals and businesses with motor vehicles and boats that were damaged or destroyed during Hurricane Sandy, they may find salvage title information
Instructions to replace/renew NJ license while out of state
You can only get a duplicate license as a replacement if yours was lost, stolen or destroyed. You cannot drive until you receive the replacement license. Using it as a second or spare copy is prohibited. No driver may hold multiple copies of a permit. How to get a duplicate license

  1. Visit any MVC Agency; follow these special instructions if you are out of the state for an extended period and unable to appear in person
  2. Complete form BA-208 (call and ask for a copy)
  3. Pass the 6 point ID requirements
  4. Pay the $11 fee
  5. Stolen licenses should be reported to the police

NJ Motor Vehicle (609) 292-6500 out-of-state
(609) 292-5120 TTY(888) 486-3339 toll-free in NJ
Customer service available from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Income Tax Returns
IRS Request for Copy of Tax Return Form
Tip: You may be able to get your tax return or return information from other sources. If you had your tax return completed by a paid preparer, they should be able to provide you a copy of the return. The IRS can provide a Tax Return Transcript for many returns free of charge. The transcript provides most of the line entries from the original tax return and usually contains the information that a third party (such as a mortgage company) requires. See Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, or you can quickly request transcripts by using our automated self-help service tools. Please visit us at IRS.gov and click on “Order a Transcript” or call 1-800-908-9946.

Insurance Policies
Contact your local agent or company.
Motor Vehicle Insurers in New Jersey (Addresses, phone numbers, websites)
Home (etc…) NJ Licensed Insurance Carriers (Addresses and phone numbers)

Military Discharge Papers
Request Standard Form 180 (SF-180) from any office of the US Department of Veterans Affairs, the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Red Cross

Mortgage Papers
Contact lending institution.
Navigating Post Disaster Mortgage Issues
In the wake of a natural disaster, homeowners who may have also lost income often face the daunting challenge of making monthly mortgage payments on badly damaged, perhaps destroyed residences. Find out what to do if you can't pay your mortgage. Includes information on SBA loans and mortgage and disaster insurance.

New Jersey State Bar Association
Residents who cannot afford to pay an attorney can call the help line to request free legal assistance at 888‐541‐1900

Obtain instructions and complete Form DS-64: Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport

Saving Bonds / Notes
Complete Form 1048: Claim for Lost, Stolen or Destroyed U.S. Savings Bonds
For additional forms http://www.treasurydirect.gov

Social Security Cards
Important: All documents submitted must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.
You will need Form SS-5: Application for Social Security Card
Follow the step by step instructions
OR call for information 1-800-772-1213 or TTY1-800-325-0778

Contact the attorney who prepared it. If circumstances have changed, a new will may be appropriate.

New Jersey Volunteer Emergency Response Hotline
1-800-JERSEY-7, backup hotline numbers: 609-775-5236 or 908-303-0471. Volunteermatch.org

Thanks to the Ocean County Library for compiling much of this information.